Saturday 22 November 2014

My body is CRAVING vegetables

Having been working away all this week, and eating all manner of assorted crap ( my cry of ' I need a salad' meant a trip to Pizza Hut to raid the salad bar - dark times), my body desperately needs some vegetables. Lots of vegetables. But it's winter, and it's dark and cold, and the salads of summer just won't cut it.

What to do? Firstly, raid Waitrose* for vegetables. Butternut squash, garlic, red onions, mixed peppers, avocados, tomatoes, lettuce leaves and pre prepared globe artichokes all go in the basket. I confess now that I ate all the artichokes before making the salad, so they no longer feature.

Before the rugby starts, my rubbish peeler and I do battle with the butternut squash, in what involves a 20 minute workout to get the damn thing peeled that leaves me sweating and feeling like maybe I should have worn a sports bra. Chop, chop, chop and into the roasting tin go the squash, peppers, garlic and red onions, with a hefty dose of salt, pepper and olive oil. It all looks beautiful and very healthy, and the smell of it cooking is a) making me salivate and b) means I won't forget it and let it burn to a crisp, although it may have a negative impact on the washing hanging out to dry.



At half time, I bung in some tomatoes so they go delightfully squishy, without turning to pulp. Some Romaine lettuce goes in a bowl as the salad base, I did think about kale but there are limits to my virtue. I add half an avocado to the leaves, spoon on the veggies, and top with grilled halloumi and pumpkin seeds. I could write an ode to halloumi (maybe I will), that plasticky, tasteless cheese that when cooked, becomes salty and crispy and delicious.

THIS is just what I need. It needs no dressing as the oil the vegetables cooked in flavours the rest of the salad.

Clearly, my food photography needs some work, but I hope this gives you an idea:






And just in case you think it's all too virtuous and healthy for a Saturday night, I have an Estrella Damm to drink, and a bar and a half of Fruit and Nut in the fridge. And crappy telly to watch. Perfect.


*Other, considerably cheaper supermarkets are available, but their 'perfectly ripe avocados' seldom are, and this makes me cross.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: