Monday 19 August 2013

Monday 19 August: the day I've decided to give up smoking. Having done it successfully before, I feel a fool for even starting again (following a break up from a long term boyfriend), and getting myself hooked.

My reasons for giving up are many and numerous; it's terrible for my health and my wallet, I can't run as far and as fast as I used to, my friends and family hate it (and I in turn hate smoking around their children), that first cigarette of the day makes me feel like shit, I can hear myself wheezing when I wake up, I can't enjoy Breaking Bad because every time Walter starts hacking up, it freaks me out that that will be me in 10 years time. I could go on.

And honestly, does anyone want to come out on the balcony of a morning to this:





I know it's going to be tough, it always is, especially after a few drinks. I've heard it said that one of the greatest pleasures in life is a glass of wine and a cigarette. I can think of many greater pleasures; sunset over the Pacific, galloping on the back of a horse, laughing with friends until you cry, orgasms, being able to really taste food that someone's lovingly cooked for you, moving into a new home, meeting my friends new tiny children for the first time.

So, I'm determined this time. I have my trusty electronic cigarette, and have now put it out there that I'm off the fags. Whatever life throws at me is not stressful enough to keep inhaling a lungful of toxins for.



I'm blogging it in the hope that by doing so I can encourage others around me to do the same (you know who you are!) and the shame of publicly having to admit that I've failed will be enough to keep me off the Marlboros.

This time next week I'll let you know how I've got on, and any and all encouragement is much appreciated!

Location:Goodbye and good riddance, Marlboro Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment